May 1, 2013
So long April showers, hello May flowers! Pretty soon you’ll be bombarded with graduation invitations and start feeling the need to plan your summer vacation (if you haven’t already!). But before you can do any of that, Spring is a time of new leaves and renewal so why not make that go for your home as well?
Completing a deep clean is very important and the best way to make ensure cleaning tasks proceed smoothly and completely is to have a good cleaning checklist. Like all big projects, it’s a good idea to do your homework and construct a plan. Yes, that means putting pen to paper or creating a spread sheet, if that’s more your style. So whether you are moving out of your own home, or just cleaning a rented property before moving out, or simply looking to complete some Spring cleaning (given the time of year!) we have a complied a cleaning tip list to keep all parties busy and of course the landlord and property manager happy.
- Wash all windows both internally and externally.
- Wipe and clean window sills and curtain rails.
- Wash inside and outside of front and back doors.
- Try to remove all scuffs and marks from the walls, where necessary repaint if you have the correct shade.
- Wash completely all floors.
- All carpeting should be professionally cleaned to remove stains depending on length of lease. It is a good idea to check your lease and keep the receipts for these tasks so that the cost can be deducted from you security deposit.
- All garbage must be removed from the property.
- Clean out fireplace if applicable.
- Clean all blinds and wash or dry clean all drapes and valances.
- Clean all light fixtures throughout unit and replace any burnt out bulbs.
- Clean inside and out of dishwasher and range hood.
- Sweep and wash the kitchen floor, including beneath all movable appliances.
- Wipe and clean sinks and counter tops completely.
- Clear out all contents first
- Wash the inside of refrigerator with water.
- Take out all removable shelving and drawers and wash separately, dry and replace.
- Wash the outside of refrigerator.
- Remember to move the fridge and complete cleaning behind and underneath also.
- Freezer must be defrosted and cleaned. If defrosting, remember to turn appliance back on once completed.
- Remove racks and clean by soaking in hot water to remove all difficult to remove dirt.
- Clean fully the inside of the oven, top of the stove, and underneath the elements.
- Clean behind and underneath the appliance (if moveable).
- Wash and dry outside of stove.
Vanity Cabinets and Drawers
- Remove all contents
- Wash cupboards on both the inside and out.
- Wipe out drawers with damp rag.
- Remove all personal belongings.
- Wash down all tiled areas ensuring to pay attention to the grouting areas.
- Clean bathtub, shower area around the tub, sink, door and ensure all fixtures shining.
- Remember to Clean the inside and outside of toilet.
- Wash and shine mirror.
- Sweet and wash all floors.
- Ensure the lawn is freshly mowed and weed flower beds if applicable.
- Finally, remove all garbage, debree and external clutter as first impressions are key!
In order to recoup your deposit upon vacating a rental property, its is important firstly to give the landlord or property manager the required notice period but secondly to ensure the property is spic and span and in its original condition that you got it in. We at Agon Management hope that you find this checklist useful in moving towards a sparkling clean and organized house inside and out. If you have any further tips or recommendations on this topic that you’d like to share, please comment below! We would love to hear from you!